Monday 7 December 2015

Concept Art report

Concept art can be produced through a variety of styles and mediums, to achieve a broad array of results. For many of my own reports into this field, I constructed a scene to compliment three of the visual styles I chose to explore.


Environmental Concept

For the first report, I produced a rather minimalist environment, depicting the scene that I would use for my other reports. I played around with adding mist coming down from the mountains to the Dead Forest. The monochromatic landscape not only serves the rough, sketchy style, but creates an element of mystery and decay.



Storyboard

For the second report, I made an eight-panel storyboard, depicting a scene where a Hero is ambushed when walking throught the Dead Forest. I intentionally used little colour and action cues as that is what would be used in an early storyboard concept. With these limitations however, I still managed to present the sense of increasing darkness as the Giant Spiders grew closer to the protagonist.



Frottage

For the third report, I digitally painted a frottage version of one of the Giant Spiders in the aforementioned scene. By rubbing over various utensils, I was able to import some defined textures into a Photo Editing Program. From there I applied the textures into the shape of the arachnid. The net rubbing in the background proved to be a good representation of a spider's web, while other dark textures helped to create the spider's furry body and legs.



Biomechanical Concept

For the final report, I went a different route and engaged in another interest of mine from the field of Concept Art. The above illustration is a biomechanical pen drawing of a self-sufficient insect-machine hybrid. This huge creature is covered in metal and oozes excess liquids from its maw. The level of detail I put into this illustration only serves to make the subject all the more real and intimidating.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment